For many years, all decisions about children were made by adults. This was thought to be best because adults are older and have experience, training and qualifications. But adults didn’t always make the right decisions, sometimes because they hadn’t talked to the children about the issue.
All the countries of the world got together and agreed that children must be given rights. Plus sometimes their ideas are actually better than adults!
The role of a Student Council is:
- to provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of school life
- to act as a channel of communication between home and school
- to offer an opportunity for all pupils to voice their opinions on all proposed changes and thereby play a significant role in improving our school
- to discuss issues relevant to school and encourage and promote initiatives from the pupils
- to encourage pupils to organize events central to the life of the school
Two Mile House Student Council:
The Student Council in Two Mile House N.S. was set up by Ms Ann Renwick in 2017. The council consists of representatives from 3rd– 6th class and a new committee is elected each year.
Some of the initiatives spear-headed by the committee in the past have included; litter wardens, marvellous manners, sports day coaching for junior infants, yard line monitoring, communication with the Minister for Education and many more.